Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fantasy Football

I attended the draft of my free league this past Saturday. The league is managed via Yahoo sports but we have an in person draft at the commissioner's house. I do like having the draft in person because you can really rail on people! One problem we kept having was that people would not mark off who was drafted and then try to draft someone that had already been taken. For example, it's the 10th round and someone asks if Willis McGahee is still available! Are you kidding me? He was taken in the 1st round! Then, later on, someone tried to draft a Tight End I had already taken.. I proposed a rule that next time this happened, the individual had to forfeit his pick for that round! Of course that didn't happen (this is a free league after all). This was a 10 person league last year, a league in which I dominated all year until the end when my team completely fell apart and I lost in the playoffs. It's tough being the #1 seed because you get comfortable and once you have key players get hurt at the end of the year and there are no good players left to sign off waivers, your SCREWED! Towards the end of the year, I could feel that I wasn't going to win it because of injuries to my running backs, Larry Johnson and Ronnie Brown. This year our league is up to 12 people so there is less depth on our rosters. I feel like I drafted a pretty decent team. I think I'm still a contender, but I won't be as dominant as I was last year. I seriously was demolishing everyone through most of the season. My roster is as follows:

QB- Tom Brady- I had him last year too. The #1 reason for my success last year.
RB- Larry Johnson- Also had him last year. Was pretty good until he hurt his foot at the end.
RB- LenDale White- Workhorse back who puts up solid numbers consistently.
Flex- Edgerrin James- Aging, hopefully not over the hill yet!
WR- Braylon Edwards- Expected to have a great year in a high powered offense.
WR- Torry Holt- Aging, but can still produce good numbers.
TE- Vernon Davis- Hasn't lived up to potential yet, but is in Mike Martz offense...
DEF- Jaguars- physical, dominating defense. One of the best around.
K- Phil Dawson- Browns kicker. Should get a lot of points.
Bench:

WR- Joey Galloway- Old timer had a great year last year. Is still very fast.
WR- Jerry Porter- My last draft pick...we'll see.
TE- Zach Miller- Raiders TE who has looked good in camp and pre-season
RB- Kolby Smith- Larry Johnson's backup. Let's just call it insurance.
QB- Vince Young- I'll only need him 1 week.
WR- Donte Stallworth- He'll be opposite Braylon Edwards on the Browns lineup.

I have the draft for my not-so-free league on Thursday night. It's done online via espn.com because everyone in the league lives in a different city. We have a couple of guys in Dallas, Memphis, Philly, Tampa and Denver. I think the fact that I've already had a draft will help me Thursday night in that it's given me an idea of where everyone is going. I won this league 3 years ago in my first year, but then had an awful year the next with injuries and then an average, ho-hum year last year. I need to get back to elite status.

No comments: