Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thoughts on Saturday games

- I had predicted Michigan St. to upset Ohio St. Boy was I wrong! My prediction of course was dependent on Michigan St. actually showing up! The Buckeyes got some early turnovers and capitalized on them with a short field...next thing you know it's 28-0. The Buckeyes seem to be getting into a groove...the game with JoePa next week should be a good one!

- I'm now officially a believer in Texas. Most of Mizzou's 31 were garbage points. The Horns are hot right now. Colt McCoy has become the poster child Heisman candidate. We had to figure Mizzou's non-defense would be a factor at some point...

- Wisconsin has now lost 4 in a row...ouch

- I don't believe there is a single team in either the Big East or the ACC who deserves to play in a BCS bowl this year. They are all mediocre. I think the BCS should replace them with Utah, TCU, Boise St or even BYU. Any of those teams would be better than an ACC or Big East team.

- LSU finally put it together last night in the second half against South Carolina. The defense played lights out and the offense was just good enough to get the win.

- Tennessee is not as good as the 34-3 score against Miss St. indicates. They have a good matchup next week with Bama...speaking of which

- Bama almost blew that game with Ole Miss. Never sleep on Houston Nutt! He will beat you! Bama had jumped out to a good lead and then fell asleep at the wheel. Ole Miss had a chance at the end. In fact the only thing that kept Ole Miss from driving down the field and winning was their lack of a consistent passing game...the achilles heal of Houston Nutt teams.

- Two games I'm obviously looking forward to next week...Ohio St./Penn St. and Tennessee/Alabama. Vols/Tide used to be called "Third Saturday in October" but they always play in the fourth Saturday in October now...go figure. Bud and I agree that this game will be closer than the experts think. I also think Ohio St. is going to beat JoePa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a good football Saturday. You whipped me yesterday in the Pick 'Em. Though we had many of the same picks. I am noticing that I am not very good at ranking each of the games.
I do think that you are right about the ACC/Big East but after Thursday I think that you could remove BYU from your list of possibilities for a BCS bowl. I think that Utah is looking more and more like the team, with the win against Oregon State and having both TCU and BYU (both should be ranked opponents) at home in the next month, if they get by both of them they will be in the top 10 and should get a BCS bowl.
What time is the Penn State/Ohio State game, maybe we should find a sports bar for that game.
Cory