Saturday, January 24, 2009

College Re-cap final...what I got right and wrong

Now that the college football season is over and the NFL season is about over, I want to look back at my pre-season college football picks. I had some pretty good picks and of course the mis-steps. Let's take a look.

Picks I got wrong-

BYU to win the Mountain West- just about everyone got this wrong. Utah basically came out of nowhere. BYU looked good early on, even went through a phase of holding teams scoreless, but it all came crashing down with the blowout loss to TCU.

Missouri to win the Big 12- I thought it was Chase Daniels Mizzou Tigers year to finally win the Big 12 and play in the Fiesta Bowl. We'll they did win the Big 12 North but they did not live up to expectations this year.

Ohio St. to win the Big 10- They came in second and still played in a BCS bowl, but the early season blowout loss to USC really turned this team on it's ear. They later lost a close one to the eventual conference champion Penn St. These were their only regular season losses, but they really didn't beat anyone of consequence this year. Penn St. came out of nowhere here too.

West Virginia to win the Big East- The early season losses to East Carolina and Colorado exposed this team and they never really recovered. After the big Fiesta Bowl win against Oklahoma the year the before, I thought W. Virgina would carry the momentum and win a fairly weak conference.

Clemson to win the ACC- I've basically decided this is Virginia Tech's conference until further notice. No one really looked good in this conference, but Clemson was absolutely miserable...led to the firing of Tommy Bowden. This is a program that is perpetually talented and perpetually underachieves.

Auburn to win the SEC West- Auburn collapsed this year! Alabama came out of nowhere. I thought Auburn's defense and weak offense would be just enough to win this division...wrong!

Picks I got right-

USC to win the Pac 10- Easiest pick in the world! 'Nuff said.

Boise St. to win the WAC- Everyone was on the Fresno St. bandwagon pre-season. I wasn't buyin' it! Too tough of a schedule and they had to go to Boise at the end.

Oklahoma to win the Big 12 South- Not only that, I had Texas and Texas Tech right after them and I mentioned I thought about putting Tech ahead of Texas...then Tech beats Texas! Not bad!

Florida to win the SEC and the BCS National Championship! Everyone was on the Georgia bandwagon pre-season, but their schedule was too murderous! I had the Gators in the SEC and then playing USC in the big game. I picked Florida to win the big game this year. Definitely my proudest pick!

No comments: